Tuesday, October 7, 2014
LOLOL "manly speaker"
Kathleen Jamieson's article, "Eloquence in an Electric Age" talks about a topic that I have always found incredibly interesting: Gendered writing. She states, "Because it was presumably driven by emotion, womanly speech was thought to be. personal, excessive, disorganized, and unduly ornamental. Because it was presumably driven by reason, the manly style was thought to be factual, analytic, organized, and impersonal" (801). This creates an interesting dynamic between how ethos, pathos, and logos relate differently to each men and women. If men are factual and impersonal, then it must be hard to cover pathos. On the other hand, if women are too personal, then they may have a difficult time covering logos. I also found it hilarious that she quoted Max Atkinson as saying "High pitched vocalizations tend to be strongly associated with emotional or irrational outbursts, a deeply rooted cultural assumption that no doubt derives from, and is sustained by, the screams of each new generation of infants"(803). Therefore, naturally, women are much less credible because we just sound like crying babies. Yeah. Ok. I mean, I get where these horribly sexist ideas would come from as for women, in history, have always been treated as a child whom needs protection. But the ideas are still ridiculous.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, it's only you who sounds like a crying baby, Cicily. Stop your whining.
ReplyDeleteSecond of all, I love that women were called "squeaky" in the article. If my voice is squeaky, it's because I drank waaaaaaay too much caffeine today. I am constantly frustrated by the way men and women are represented based on their voices. Think of cartoons -- How are women's voices different than men's? I can think of more than a few instances in which men are supposed to be low, growly voices (providing an incredibly frustrating idea of what it is to be a "man" or to be "masculine" -- this is not just a woman issue) and a multitude of women who are screechy and whiny.
I'm pushing for a change, yo. 'Yonce style.
I found the part about their voices ridiculous as well! And then I read the comment about cartoon characters and i started thinking about how insanely sexist they are! It has become clear to me after reading this article more than ever, that these kind of symbols are all around us. We think we see them all but we don't! That's how many there are!
ReplyDelete